Granite is one of the many natural stone tiles available to homeowners in the greater Middletown area. Granite is an especially popular tile choice for countertops but can also be used as flooring or a backsplash. The experts at Floor Coverings International Orange County NY outline the benefits and drawbacks of granite tile below!
Granite is an igneous rock that is created under high heat and pressure in the earth. When the magma cools, you’ll be left with a very strong and hard crystalline rock. It is composed of many different minerals, such as feldspar, mica, and quartz. These minerals are what give it the shiny flecks, or sparkle, that granite is known for.
This dense and durable rock is available in tiles or slabs. Tiles are more commonly used for backsplashes or flooring, and slabs are used to create a kitchen or bathroom countertop. Granite has also been used to create many monuments and buildings.
Benefits of Granite
- Granite is scratch, stain, and heat resistant. This makes it very easy to maintain.
- It is available in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Each slab will have its own characteristics.
- It adds value to a home.
Drawbacks of Granite
- Because it is so durable, it is very hard to cut and install. Thankfully your Floor Coverings International Orange County NY experts can do this for you!
- Granite is typically finished with a high shine, which means it can be slippery as flooring. We suggest getting textured tiles or using mats and rugs to offset this.
- Granite can feel cold underfoot during the colder months of the year. Ask your flooring professional about under floor radiant heating if this is an issue.
Ready to install granite or another natural stone tile in your Middletown home? Let’s get to work! Schedule a free design consultation where you come to our showroom or we bring our mobile showroom to you. We proudly serve the greater Orange County, Middletown, Goshen, and Warwick areas and look forward to working with you.